Chocolate lava cake is my favorite treat ever. in the history of ever. forever. hands down. every time. If a restaurant has chocolate lava cake on their dessert menu, I’m not sure why they even bother listing any other desserts because nothing compares to ooey gooey chocolatey goodness. Husband and I used to get it at Flemings for date night when we lived in Ohio and then again in Texas because it was less than a mile from our house. Now that we live on Oahu, we go to Roy’s Beach House at Turtle Bay resort for our chocolate lava fix. However, this amazing treat is 100% NOT dairy free. And since we try really hard to stick to a dairy free diet, I decided to try my hand at a non dairy version. I think it turned out great and while I am not on the same level as a Fleming’s or Roy’s chef, I was pretty proud of myself! I swear the recipe is so easy, I didn’t even use a mixer. Just a big cereal bowl and a whisk! And you have plenty of time to perfect the recipe for Valentine’s Day!
A few things you are definitely going to need (and should have on hand anyway if you are already dairy-free) are your favorite non dairy cocoa, butter, and chocolate. I will put links to the brands that I used below!
- 1/4 cup “Enjoy Life” Chocolate Chips
- 4 Tablespoons “Earth Balance” “butter”
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg and 1 egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon “wonderslim” cocoa powder (this is the same dairy free cocoa powder I used in my dairy free hot cocoa recipe)
- 4 strawberries or raspberries (garnish)
- Preheat oven to 400 Fahrenheit
- Oil your ramekins. I made 4 small cakes, but you could do 2 larger. Just adjust cooking time
- Melt the dairy free chocolate chips and butter in a medium bowl.
- Stir in the powdered sugar
- Add the egg and egg yolk and stir it up
- Add flour and cocoa powder
- Pour into your ramekins or muffin tins. I used these cute Wilton heart shaped molds
- Bake for 10-13 minutes. You want the cakes to still move in the center, not be cooked all the way through.
- Let the cakes cool for a few minutes then veeerrry carefully run a butter knife around the edges and slip them on a plate.
- Top with powdered sugar and a strawberry or raspberry
- Serve immediately
I hope you love these lava cakes as much as I do! Drop me a comment below or on my Insta letting me know your favorite Valentine’s Day treat! Happy baking!!